If you suffer from Gastroparesis then you most likely will encounter Hydrogen Producing Bacterial Overgrowth of the small intestines. The test for Hydrogen Bacteria is very time consuming – it takes around fours hours and you have to breath into a device every half hour or so then wait for the results to be read from a lab which can take a week. Doctors treatments are harsh antibiotics. We have discovered that the best way to keep Bacterial Overgrowth away is to follow some natural remedies. Also, limit your sugar intake!
My top two natural supplements for treating bacterial overgrowth and keeping it away are Candida Support by now and PB 8 Probiotics by Nutrition Now. You can read about the supplement facts of these two products by visiting this post.
There are three parts to the natural treatment of bacterial overgrowth:
- Diet – Low carbohydrate diet
- Eradicate unfriendly bacteria in the small intestine using herbs such as peppermint oil.
- Replace – Bacterial overgrowth impairs friendly bacteria (“probiotics”) and digestive enzymes.
The most studied natural treatment for bacterial overgrowth is enteric coated peppermint oil, which is peppermint oil that has an edible, hard shell around it so that the capsule doesn’t open until it is in the small intestine. It kills bacteria in the small intestine.
The course of treatment is usually 1 to 6 months. A typical dose of enteric-coated peppermint oil is one to two capsules three times a day, taken in between meals with a glass of water. Side effects can include heartburn, rectal burning, and minty burping.
Other herbal antimicrobials used to treat bacterial overgrowth are:
- Grapefruit seed extract – for people who don’t like taking capsules, grapefruit seed extract can be found in liquid form. Add a few drops to a glass of water and drink in between meals.
- Oregano oil capsules
- Berberine – goldenseal, oregon grape
- Olive leaf extract
- Pau d’arco